Food as Medicine
You may have seen that when people would like to take care of their health, food is one of the most important factors that cannot be forgotten. The foods are so influence as regarding as medicine along with the famous quote from Hippocrates that “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” which can be translated to “food as medicine”. Today we are going to find out why foods are regarding as medicine.
Foods when they come into the body, they are digested as small molecules for easy conveying into the cell and being used. They can be classified along their type as antioxidants, amino acids, minerals, vitamins, fiber, glucose, fatty acids, etc. They play critical roles about anti-inflammation, cardiovascular health (including blood pressure and lipid profile), blood sugar balancing, helping the digestive organs to process and eliminate waste, and of course linking to gene expression that linked to your health, well-being and appearance (Nutrigenomics).
Nutrigenomics is about studying how food influences gene expression and contributes to either health and longevity or to disease and earlier death. The principles can be summarized in several key points as gene play a role in disease development and prevention; nutrient deficiencies and toxic chemicals in low-quality food have effort on human gene expression; each person is different in terms of how much their genes/health are impacted by their diet; and a healthy (also personalized diet) can be used to prevent, relieve or cure chronic diseases. To be said in easy ways. If someone has the gene that prone to have thyroid disease when they get some type of food or lifestyle that load the body such as toxin. They can get sick from thyroid disease more easier than others who have the general genes.
For more clearer point of view. Let’s see about relations between food and health issues. For example ;
- Inflammation : linked to 6 kinds of foods as 1. Sugar and high-Fructose Corn Syrup Artificial Trans Fat 3. Vegetable and Seed oils (inappropriate omega6: omega 3 ratio) 4. Refined Carbohydrates 5.Excessive Alcohol 6. Processed meat. Inflammation is the root of most disease.
- Acidity of the body : processed, low- quality foods make the bodies are more acidic and allow disease to grow up more easily. An alkaline diet (high in plant foods that are detoxifying) helps with cellular renewal and might promote longevity.
- Diabetes and weight gain : related to poor insulin response and other hormonal changes. To sustain normal blood sugar, experts recommends that low-glycemic and non-processed carbohydrate food take the place of sugar, processed carbohydrate foods.
So what kind of food that you should have as “food is medicine diet” Let’s take some tips here as :
- Organic vegetables and fresh fruits
- Low -Glycemic carbohydrates
- Good sources of proteins
- Healthy Fats
- Other superfoods such as garlic, turmeric, etc.
- Healthy drink
- Good proportion; maybe one plate diet is one of the good and easy way to do
- Good time; not eat too late.
However, taking about food is one of the key points to have good health but the other factors also are needed to be concerned such as stress management, exercise, enough sleep or other healthy lifestyles. You should try to integrate all of things together for having the optimum health. Good luck everyone.