Food is one of the most important factors that cannot be forgotten once people thinking of their healthy life. The foods are so crucial in regarding as medicine in correspondence to the famous quote from Hippocrates that “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” which can be translated to “food as medicine”. Today we are going to find out why foods are regarding as medicine.
When foods come into the body, they are digested as small molecules in order to be conveyed into the cell and utilized easily. Foods can be classified along with their functions as antioxidants, amino acids, minerals, vitamins, fiber, glucose, fatty acids, etc. They play crucial roles of anti-inflammation, cardiovascular health (including blood pressure and lipid profile), blood sugar balancing, assisting the digestive organs to process and eliminate waste, and of course gene expresser, that linked to our health, well-being and appearance (Nutrigenomics).
Nutrigenomics is the studying of how food influences gene expression and contributes to either health and longevity or to disease and earlier death. The principles can be summarized in several key points as gene play a role in disease development and prevention; nutrient deficiencies and toxic chemicals in low-quality food have effort on human gene expression; each person is different in terms of how much their genes/health are impacted by their diet; and a healthy (also personalized diet) can be used to prevent, relieve or cure chronic diseases. To simplify, if someone has the gene that prone to have thyroid disease getting some type of food or lifestyle that load the body such as toxin, he can get sick from thyroid disease easier than others who have the general genes.
For a clearer point of view, let’s have another example of relations between food and health issues as below:
- Inflammation, the root cause of most diseases, has linked to 6 kinds of foods such as sugar and high-fructose corn syrup, artificial trans-fat, vegetable and seed oils (inappropriate omega6: omega 3 ratio), refined carbohydrates, excessive alcohol, and processed meat.
- Acidity of the body from processed, low- quality foods allow disease to grow up easily. An alkaline diet which is high in plant foods that are detoxifying, helps with cellular renewal and might promote longevity.
- Diabetes and weight gain are related to poor insulin response and other hormonal changes. To sustain normal blood sugar, experts recommends taking low-glycemic and non-processed carbohydrate food instead of refine sugar and processed carbohydrate foods.
Let’s have some smart tips to include food choices as “food is medicine diet” into our daily lives as listed below:
- Organic vegetables and fresh fruits
- Low -Glycemic carbohydrates
- Good sources of proteins
- Healthy Fats
- Other superfoods such as garlic, turmeric, etc.
- Healthy drink
- Good proportion; “ one plate diet” is the best and easy way to do
- Good time; not eat too late.
To be healthy, foods have played the crucial role. However, other factors are needed to be concerned as well such as exercise, stress management, proper and enough sleep, and other healthy lifestyles. We should try to integrate everything together in order to have the optimum health. Wish everyone health and happiness.